Friday, August 29, 2008

My first "painted furniture" project

So, I betcha were wondering what I did during my break last week??? Well, here it is. My very first painted furniture project. I don't think it turned out too bad at all. I found this 6 foot corner cabinet on Craigslist. It took up space in our garage for several weeks while I built up enough motivation and courage to tackle it. Since we live in a boring "white-walled" duplex, I wanted to have a piece of furniture that stood out and made a statement. I hope you like it! I really did have fun doing it, although my arms got tired pretty fast.


Here is what it looked like in its former life.
I fell in love with the scalloped edges and that's why I had to have it.

There was trim around the edges which led hubby to believe that it must have been part of a "built-in" shelving area in someones house; know what I mean?

I had fun pulling the mile long nails out with the other side of the hammer. Sheesh!

I was a good girl and primed it before I painted it...even
though I just wanted to dive in with the pretty paint.


~
~
~
~
Ok, are you ready to see it?
~
~
~
Are you sure?
~
~
~
But what if you don't like it :(
~
~
~
OK, here it is...
~
~
~
TA - DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Here it is in my living room. If you remember this post, then you will see that I am still sticking with the reds, browns and warm creamy yellows/golds for the living room.

I have since added two "antiqued" white knobs to the doors on the bottom.

I quickly added some of my pretties from around the house, but these are most likely not all staying put. I need more stuff to fill it up now. Garage sales, flea markets, antique shops...here I come. :o)

Don't you think that this could be even cuter with pretty damask or toile scrapbook paper on the background of each shelf? I am keeping my eyes open for the right paper. You let me know if you see any, OK?

That decorative box is from Micheal's when they had there 80% off sale. Remember all my finds that week. It wasn't even 2 bucks!

My sister picked this up for me at a garage sale for only 75 cents!

I love this clock. Garage sale find...$4.00

And finally, that old milk bottle I found when cleaning out Rusty Cottage
filled with creamy, vintage buttons from this place.

Please tell me what you think of my first furniture project.
I need "words of affirmation" here ladies.

7 comments:

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I think it came out great! I know with the added paper in the background it will just give it an extra punch of interest. You've got some great pretties displayed too. I love, love, love the milk bottl with the buttons.
Hope all is well with you and yours. Can't wait to see what else you add to the collection.

Sue said...

I LOVE it! You did a wonderful job and all your great finds sitting on it are just perfect. The milk jug with the buttons...WOW! I'm so glad you stopped by and visited me so I could find you. I'll be back!!

Joyful Days said...

Oh that is lovely. I am envious. A corner cabinet would go really well in my entry way. That milk bottle is adorable!!

Your blog is really full of great ideas.

Blessings,

Julie

Angie said...

Here's a "word of affirmation" - FABULOUS!!! You really did a great job. I think it would be even more fabulous with the paper on the backs of the shelves like u said. Please show it if you do that and when you add more cute stuff!

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful!

I'm like you and have areas, just waiting to find the perfect flea market bargain to place there! I'll look forward to seeing what you find! :)

Cindy said...

Wow, it looks great red! I LOVE that soup tureen. I can't believe that was only 75 cents!

Ann said...

I think it look great. I prefer old furniture made new rather then just new furniture.