Friday, June 27, 2008

History of a Plate


I spoke with my mother-in-law yesterday and was pleasantly surpised to learn a little bit of history about one of the plates I posted a picture of yesterday. This plate was given to her from her grandmother's china set. My MIL was born in the early 1940's and so if you do the math her grandmother would have been born in the late 1800's. The china set was the set that her grandmother and grandfather started their married life out with. So, its an old plate to say the least. I will definitely cherish it! John, my husband, didn't even know about the plate, so he was also very surprised.

Edited to add: As you may know, this weekend is the big garage sale . Trying to sell a lot of the stuff that we have cleared out of the cottage so far. Most likely I won't be able to post till Monday. But until then, I hope you all have a fabulous and relaxing weekend. Don't forget your sunscreen! :-)

3 comments:

Quirky Cottage Owners said...

There is something so beautiful about old plates. Yours is a treasure. Hope you have a successful garage sale this weekend and have fun, too. I'll be on the other side -- going to garage sales. (smile)

ABOUT ME said...

Hi Anna. Thanks for your recent comment on my blog! We also had a huge yard sale this weekend from cleaning out the house, attic, and my antique booth. I'm going to do a post about it later today. I'm with you, exhausted but feeling good about cleaning things out. Have a nice relaxing day! Also, I was reading a past post and thing black looks great with the green. I actually think black adds a touch of drama to any color. Talk to you soon! Di

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

Hi Anna,
Thanks for stopping by, interesting story on your dish. Good thing you didn't sell it! You had asked where I got my plate holders, I got them at Marshall's.
Hugs~Kelly